The American Heart Association has a recipe page that’s a great place to get ideas for low-salt, low-fat, low-sugar recipes. I sometimes think the recipes they post could be even lower in all of the evil three, but I’m not going to quibble with them today. I found this fun recipe for chicken with strawberry and pineapple salsa that I intend to try out.
I’m thinking it would be really great in the summer with freshly harvested strawberries, but these days you can get strawberries in winter months too, so you can make it as a Christmas season surprise for family and friends too.
The ingredient list from the Heart Association site:
- 2 slice pineapple, each 1/2 inch thick, patted dry
- 1 tsp. canola or corn oil
- 1 cup whole strawberries (diced)
- 3-4 Tbsp. chopped, fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1-2 tsp. sugar
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 medium lemon