To start, substitute chicken breasts for the thighs listed to cut fat substantially. Next, instead of soy sauce use Mrs. Dash salt-free teriyaki, or a similar salt-free brand. I’ve tested several, click here to read about them.
The Pandemic has seen many salt-free products disappear from supermarket shlves, so you may ahve to shop online to find any of these right now.
I’m not sure how high the sugar content is from using honey, if you worry about sugar, use less honey.
I’d also substitute a low-salt, low-sugar ketchup for a regular brand.
Here’s the recipe, with my substitutions noted:
- Chicken Thighs (use chicken breasts instead, skinless)
- Ketchup (use low- or no-salt ketchup)
- Soy Sauce (use a salt-free teriyaki sauce)
- Dried Herbs / Seasonings
- In a bowl, combine all the sauce-ingredients including, honey, ketchup, garlic, soy sauce, and dried herbs.
- Arrange chicken thighs inside the slow cooker and pour prepared sauce over chicken.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 to 3.5 hours, or on LOW for 4 to 5 hours.
- If you would like to thicken the sauce, 30 minutes before the chicken is done, whisk a cornstarch slurry into the sauce; cover and continue to cook.
- Use 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon cold water; mix it together until mixture forms a paste.
- Whisk the cornstarch slurry into the sauce inside the slow cooker; cover and continue to cook.