The most natural substance in the world, water is an incredible thing. Our bodies are made up of around 70% water, which is why we need so much water to survive. The fact is that not only do we need to water to stay hydrated, but we also need to drink plenty of water to ensure that when it comes to our health, we are in tip-top shape.
The issue is today that more and more people are boycotting water and opting to drink other liquids. Yes, fizzy drinks and juices contain water, but these drinks are nowhere near as healthy or beneficial for you as pure water is. It may not taste as nice, but water is the drink that should be your go-to liquid.
Still not convinced that water is worth drinking? No – then have a read of the information below, all about the health benefits of drinking more water, and a few handy hacks for making drinking water more enjoyable.
What are the benefits of drinking more water?
There are various health benefits of drinking more water; from boosting your skin’s health to aiding weight loss, water is an incredible substance. To give you a better idea of what the main benefits are of drinking more water, below we have listed five of them.
- Increases energy and reduces fatigue: Did you know that your brain is mostly water? That is why when you don’t drink enough water, you struggle to think. Have you ever noticed how when you are dehydrated, it becomes harder than normal to concentrate? But when you drink some more water, you start to feel better. An added bonus of drinking more water is that you will also have more energy. So if you are someone who suffers from fatigue, drinking more water could be the answer.
- Increases weight loss: Do you want to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight? Well, studies have shown that water could be the answer to doing that. When you drink water, it helps to cleanse your system, and part of that is removing by-products of fat. It can also help to reduce hunger, as drinking water can fill your stomach up, making you less inclined to eat as often.
- Reduces the risk of kidney stones and UTIs: Did you know that the more water you drink, the lower your chances of developing kidney stones or UTIs? The fact is that the more water that flushes through the kidneys and bladder, the healthier this system will be.
- Improves skin health: Water is fantastic when it comes to improving skin health. Many people don’t realize it, but water can give skin a dramatic health boost. Water helps to keep the skin hydrated, which in turn ensures that the skin looks youthful and glowing. There is nothing that can beat water when it comes to skin health, that’s a fact.
- Boosts your immune system: Who knew that water could help to enhance your immune system? The fact is that people who drink plenty of water are much less likely to get sick, compared to people who don’t drink enough. Studies have shown that drinking lots of water not only helps to ward off colds, coughs and sickness bugs, but it can also reduce your cancer and heart disease risk.
How can you make drinking water more enjoyable?
Admittedly, water is not to everyone’s tastes. Some people find that water is just too boring for them, which puts them off of drinking it. However, as water is so beneficial for your health, it’s important to attempt to find a way to get more water into your system. The question is: how can you make drinking water more enjoyable?
- Flavor your water: A simple way to make water more enjoyable to drink is by flavoring it. That doesn’t mean polluting it with sugary cordials or syrups; it means using fruit and natural flavorings to add a subtle taste to your water. One of the best ways to make drinking water more enjoyable is to buy fruit infused water, as this is delicious, packed full of vitamins and a great way to make drinking water more enjoyable. You could, of course, opt to flavor your own water. All you will need to do this is a jug, some fruit, and some water; add the fruit and place in the fridge overnight, for DIY infused water. (This is ideal for when you are at home, but buying it in is best for when you are on the go.)
- Drink soda water: Is fizzy drink your favorite beverage? Whether you are made about Coca-Cola, addicted to Sprite, or love Tango, the fact is that it isn’t good for you, even the sugar-free versions are packed full of colors, potentially cancer-causing sweeteners, and all sorts of additives. That’s why it’s much better to stick to water. To make water more like fizzy, opt for soda water instead of still water. You can choose to buy it in, or you can invest in a Soda Stream and add fizz to tap water from your home. These machines are amazing and provide you with soda water on tap. You can then choose to infuse it to create a healthy flavored soda drink or have it as it is.
- Pimp your drink: Another simple way to make water more fun is to pimp it up with fruit, herbs and edible flowers. We’re not talking infusing it; we mean adding bits to it right before drinking. Whether you are a fan of fresh lemon juice and elderflower or prefer the idea of orange rind and strawberries, it doesn’t matter. Pimping your water could be the ideal way to make it more drinkable.
There you have it, a guide to why you should be drinking more water, as well as a range of ways that you can make water more enjoyable and interesting to drink. Water doesn’t have to be bland; it’s just a case of getting creative with it, that’s all.
This post has been contributed by Ryan Gatt, it may contain affiliate links.