Fajitas have become a go-to recipe for me after discovering that Mrs. Dash offers a salt-free fajita spice mix. I’ve written about making turkey fajitas as creative use of Thanksgiving leftovers, for example.
So I enjoyed seeing his recipe for veggie fajitas on recipewonderland.com. It includes peppers and onions. Just substitute the Mrs. Dash for the taco seasoning called for in the recipe and you have a tasty dish that’s also low in salt.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 large bell peppers (any color), seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning (use salt-free Mrs Dash fajita spices)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons water
- 8 medium flour or corn tortillas
- In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the sliced bell peppers and sliced onions. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Be sure to toss so everything cooks evenly.
- Add taco seasoning, garlic powder, water and toss. Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from skillet and place on top of tortillas.
- Serve with any desired toppings and sides.
I’d add a salt-free taco sauce, as you can see in my photo here.