Skepticism is my middle name when it comes to any claims that certain foods or food products are healthy. I’ve seen too many food fads come and go and too much science change to believe any of it is permanent these days.
That skepticism was confirmed by this recent article talking about seven foods once thought of as healthy that really aren’t.
- Muesli — this has always repulsed me just by the look of it, so I was glad to see it on this list.
- Banana chips — who knew they were fried and not just dried out?
- Tuna sushi — I used to eat this all the time but mercury is a concern here.
- Energy bars — I know people who live on these. Please stop.
- Trail mix — again repulsive looking to me, I’m not a bird.
- Prepared salads — I’ve known this one a long time. Dressings will kill you.
- Reduced fat yogurt — watch for the sugar content. I buy low-sugar versions.
So the bottom line here is read nutrition labels and don’t believe the latest food fad.