Turkey meatballs have become a major part of my redone Italian recipe file when cooking at home. I also make them for parties, serving them in my low-salt, low-fat homemade Italian tomato sauce (we call it gravy in my family).
So I was excited to see this take on turkey meatballs that includes apples in the meat mixture and a cranberry sauce. The recipe appeared in a recent LoseIt newsletter where LoseIt linked to another site that had the recipe and lots of photos. Here’s the ingredient list:
For the Meatballs:
- 1 pound 93% lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded tart apple, such as Granny Smith, washed with peel on
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped sage
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional for garnish
For the Cranberry Sauce:
- 1 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
I will omit the salt and substitute panko breadcrumbs for regular because they are lower in salt. I’m also using an egg white rather than a whole egg. I also took out the product brand names in the original recipe.
I will likely try these for a holiday party very soon.