Thanksgiving is sneaking up on me this year as I’m just finishing up another long-term project. So I started my Thanksgiving menu food shopping yesterday. My first item, a low-salt fresh turkey at Costco.
You can read my past writing on low sodium Thanksgiving turkey, never buy a self-basting turkey, those are loaded with salt!!! Read the label before buying any turkey. Many, many have salt added. A regular turkey will have only about 70 mgs of sodium a serving, not hundreds.
You don’t have t spend a ton for a low-sodium turkey either. As I said, I bought
mine at Costco for 99 cents a pound. True some stores have other turkeys cheaper, but 99 cents a pound isn’t bad to get the salt out.
Here are other items for your low-salt Thanksgiving menu as well, just click the links for each below:
- Low-salt stuffing — start with a salt-free wheat bread.
- Broccoli with onions — I leave out the nuts in this one
- Orange-Infused Roasted Green Beans and Red Peppers
- Low-salt, low-fat mashed potatoes — a favorite of mine
- Roasted chestnuts for dessert — a classic with a convenient modern twist
You don’t have to go salt crazy on Thanksgiving, you can still enjoy the day with these low-sodium Thanksgiving recipes.